Did you know that fantasy books are one of the best forms of escapism? It’s true! Whether it is a fantasy book or fantasy fiction, we at Monkeyscrolls recommend fantasy as your go-to genre for when you need to get away from reality and spend some time in an alternate world. But with so many fantasy books out there, how can you find the right ones to read? Fear not! We have compiled a list of must-read fantasy novels, perfect for anyone who enjoys this genre.
1) Magician – Raymond Feist
You cannot go wrong with the fantasy classic that is Magician. This book has everything you could want in a fantasy novel, including elves, dwarves, and other fantastical creatures. The protagonist Pug uses his skills to gain friends and enemies alike in a fantasy world that’s just as fun to read about as it sounds!
2) The Dark Elf Trilogy – R.A. Salvatore
“They live with the belief that anything is acceptable if you can get away with it, that self-gratification is the most important aspect of existence, and that power comes only to she or he who is strong enough and cunning enough to snatch it from the failing hands of those who no longer deserve it”
Salvatore is the fantasy superstar and Homeland is the first in this trilogy of books, start there to become enthralled by the Dark Elf city Menzoberranzan and be introduced to the classic fantasy character Drizzt.
3) The Golden Compass – Philip Pullman
This fantasy story has everything fans love:
– Talking animals!
– Magic and mystery. This book is the foundation of Phillip Pullman’s His Dark Materials trilogy (Golden Compass, The Subtle Knife & The Amber Spyglass). It follows 11 year old orphan Lyra Belacqua who lives in a parallel universe where many people have animal familiars who can talk – not to mention the fact that all humans are accompanied by their own Daemon – an external manifestation of one’s inner self. They must travel through new universes on her journey after being told about Dust. If they don’t, there may be dire consequences for them all.
4) Lord of the Rings – J.R.R Tolkien
Tolkien’s fantasy masterpiece that was published between 1954 to 1955, Lord of the Rings is a must read fantasy book for anyone! The story itself follows Frodo Baggins and his quest to rid Middle Earth of all evil by destroying an ancient magic ring in Mount Doom while being followed by Sauron who seeks it out too.
5) The Wheel of Time – Robert Jordan
The fantasy epic of the Wheel of Time series follows Moiraine and her companions in their quest to find The Eye of the World – a powerful sa’angreal that they will use to attempt to free the Dragon Reborn who is prophesied as savior.
A fantasy book that’s full of twists, turns and contains memorable characters such as Rand al’Thor (the main protagonist) and Matrim Cauthon, this fantasy book should definitely be added on your must-read list!
6) A Game of Thrones – George R.R. Martin
A fantasy book that is full of intriguing characters such as Daenerys Targaryen and Cersei Lannister. Regional and family politics consume this world.
A Game of Thrones has been adapted into a highly popular TV series (Game of Thrones) by HBO, which I highly recommend that you watch after reading the fantasy book!